For underground mines, the adoption of new, enabling technologies is often directly proportional to the ongoing competitiveness and success of any given operation. Here are a few technologies specific to the underground mining industry that we think are leading the way in underground mining innovation:
- Conspec– Conspec’s gas monitoring systems are designed to monitor CO and other toxic and combustible gases continuously in an underground mine. One of the main benefits of these systems is that they can be added to an Ethernet-based network.
- Mine Design Technologies (MDT)- MDT is an instrumentation company specializing in geotechnical applications. Their patented SMART products have been designed to survive the rigors of geotechnical and mining environments while maintaining a low cost and ease of installation. Designed by engineers for engineers, their instruments get the job done without breaking the bank.
- Newtrax- Newtrax MineHop maximizes safety and productivity with real-time data. This technology features an Ethernet gateway, leaky feader gateway, wireless node, OEM module, and a wireless RTU node. MineHop is designed to extend network connectivity in active mining areas where the permanent infrastructure is not yet installed, is not economically viable or could get damaged from blasting.
- Maptek I-site 8200– This laser scanner is designed for underground mapping and survey applications, such as measuring voids, tunnels, and drives. This scanner is comprised of integrated software to give the user fast results and can scan at any angle automatically levelled. It is also highly versatile and is capable of performing a variety of underground surveying tasks.
- Sandvik AutoMine®- Sandvik Automation equipment allows operators who would normally have to operate a heavy- duty machine on the surface of a mining site or underground to sit in the safety and comfort of an above-ground control room. Applications from Sandvik provide improved working conditions and safety, increased fleet utilization and therefore production, and reduced maintenance costs due to optimized tramming speeds and smoother equipment operation. Check out this YouTube video.